Google Site Search to Be Discontinued
Important Update From Google That Can Impact Your Website
Starting April 1, 2017, Google will be phasing out Google Site Search (GSS).
GSS provides site search on public websites for a fee without advertisements
and without Google branding.
The schedule for the Google phase out is:
- Registration for new purchase and renewal of GSS closes on March 31, 2017
- Registrations renewing between April 1, 2017 and June 30, 2017 will terminate 3 months after the renewal date.
- Total GSS shutdown is April 1, 2018
If you utilize Google Site Search on your website, you will continue to receive customer and technical support through the duration of your license agreement.
What Happens Next?
When your GSS subscription expires or the quota is exhausted, your subscription will automatically convert to Custom Search Engine (CSE). Custom Search Engine is an ads-supported product
that includes Google branding.
If you are a Vermont Design Works client and have not yet gotten in touch with us regarding GSS, please follow the steps below.
1. If a site search with ads on your current site is acceptable, please contact Vermont Design Works
and we will provide you with implementation options.
2. Google has elected to suspend current subscriber accounts as of March 31, 2017. This deadline necessitates a call to Vermont Design Works
to review your account and provide you with either renewal options if eligible or alternative ads-free search options.
VDW is actively researching alternative ads-free search options for our clients.
Coordination with Vermont Design Works is necessary to ensure that your users continue to have an optimal experience on your website. When your GSS license expires, it's likely that this change will result in either broken design layout or formatting on your site.
A quick call will ensure a seamless transition throughout the change from GSS to a new ads-free search option.