In 1965 the legislature designated the Arts Council as Vermont’s official state arts agency. From that year to now funding has come from the National Endowment for the Arts, matched by the State, to the Council to serve artists, arts organizations, schools, and communities. The effect of this support is a mature arts sector that is an integral part of Vermont’s landscape. Neither gift of gold nor fancy party is adequate to pay tribute to the catalytic impact that public funding for the arts has had on the character and culture of Vermont. ~ Alex Aldrich, Executive Director, Vermont Arts CouncilThis year, and every year really, VDW encourages you to jump into the arts. This isn't just because the Arts Council is one of our clients (see below for the story about their new website). It's because the arts make our state and our people special....and with the wide array of ways to participate, you don't have any excuse not to.
Resources to Explore the Arts in VermontThe Vermont Arts Council has resources to help Vermonters step into the arts for the first time, return after a long absence, or add to the festivities that you already enjoy such as:
- Year of the Arts Featured Events presents a special list of upcoming events
- Art Mail subscription sends you news about events, funding for artists, and
- Arts Calendar is the go to list for arts events
- Follow the Council's Facebook page, Twitter account, and use the hashtag #VTarts2015
Vermont Arts Council's New WebsiteOver the past year, Vermont Design Works developed a partnership with the Vermont Arts Council to rebuild their website from the ground up with a new, responsive/mobile-friendly design. We are proud to work together to create custom features and site architecture that speak to their multiple audiences: artists, schools, and art lovers. This includes:
- Central calendar for arts organizations to add events as well as for residents and visitors to find opportunities
- Provide educators and artists with resources to expand programs and apply for funding
- Responsive design that breaks out of the 12-block grid by using angles and shapes to bring more artistic life to the pages.
(Thanks for the compliment on the easy to use navigation, BG - we're always here if you need us for any web services, *wink*)
VERMONT CELEBRATES ARTHungry for some art? Savor a smorgasbord of concerts, festivals, and exhibitions during Vermont Arts 2015, a celebration of all-things-creative taking place across the Green Mountain State. Marking the Vermont Arts Council’s 50th anniversary, and the Legislature’s designation of 2015 as “The Year of the Arts,” the yearlong festivities offer visitors a way to engage in arts and activities in traditional as well as unconventional locales. An easy-to navigate website lists upcoming events and locations, including links to participating organizations and ticket prices. 802-828-3291, www.vermont arts2015.com